Saturday, June 14, 2008

The Loss of Tim Russert

I remember watching Tim on Meet the Press just as my political interests began to emerge as a senior in high school. As an adult, Meet the Press became the highlight of my week following politics, especially if there was an interview with a current newsmaker. There are only two shows on television that I set an alarm for and Meet the Press was one of them. My wife couldn't understand my interest, the way I watched with rapt attention, or why the show was unique because of Tim Russert. He embodied the model of good journalism: well-informed, tenacious in his pursuit of truth in the public's service, as fair and balanced as anyone could aspire to be.

His journalism was an asset to us all and his absence will leave the institution of American journalism and American democracy feeling the loss.

1 comment:

Doctor J said...

Very well said.

R.I.P. Tim Russert.

(I don't know if you saw this, but Keith Olberman called the people over at FOX News the "worst human beings ever" for maligning Russert's name less than 3 days after his death.)